April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
- Every 98 seconds, an American is sexually assaulted.
- Every 8 minutes, that victim is a CHILD. 93% are known by that child in some way. 1 in 4 girls will experience sexual assault before age 18.
- 1 in 5 women will be raped at some point in their lives.
- About… 1 in 33 [men] have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime; as of 1998, 2.78 million men in the U.S. had been victims of attempted or completed rape.
- 6 of 1,000 perpetrators will go to prison.
- Transgender students are at a higher risk for sexual violence.
- Native Americans/American Indians are at the greatest risk of sexual violence; 41%… are committed by a stranger.
- [Numbers] are higher in prison and the military, and many go unreported.
This is a lot to process. Sexual assault affects all people, in all geographical areas, of all races, ethnicities, religions, creeds, sexual orientations, genders, ages, disabilities, political beliefs, marital or family statuses, and sexes. We all need to work together to combat sexual assault.
My workplace is participating in ‘National Denim Day’ tomorrow, April 26, 2017, in solidarity with rape victims who had unprocessed rape kits sitting in a storage unit in Detroit from an unknown date until 2009. Enough SAID (Enough Sexual Assault in Detroit) is holding a fundraising campaign to help pay for 1,000+ rape kits yet to be processed, from over 11,000 found in said storage unit.
If you’ve been assaulted, report it. Don’t ignore someone if they tell you they’ve been assaulted, and don’t assume you know what happened if you haven’t been told. Encourage them (or yourself) to seek help. There are many resources available, including:
Anti-Violence Project (LGBTQ Support)
RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network)
National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC)
Sexual Assault Resource Center (SARCBV)
Safe Horizon (Victim Assistance Organization)
Men Can Stop Rape (resources & prevention)
FORGE (resources for people who are transgender, non-binary, or gender non-conforming)
Hotline for Anti-Violence Project: (212) 724-1141
National Hotline for Sexual Assaults: 1-800 (656) HOPE/(4673)
National Hotline for Safe Horizon: 1-800 (621) HOPE/(4673)