Here’s my recipe for super-yummy cheesy chicken and rice with veggies!
Yield: makes approximately 2 servings
Time: overall, with defrosting chicken, prep time about 20 minutes
2 chicken breasts
1 cup 5-minute ready rice
1 bird’s eye rice vegetable medley (we used corn, red pepper, carrot, and broccoli garden veggie mix with vermicelli) or fresh veggies in portions for 2
Handful of Monterrey Jack cheese
Dash of salt and pepper
Dash of basil
1 to 2 pats of butter
Seasoning of choice (I used McCormick Montreal Chicken seasoning)
- In a medium skillet, add a splash of olive or cooking oil to prevent sticking.
- Defrost 2 chicken breasts just ’til able to cut (about 6 min. for 1 lb.). Chunk chicken into bite-size pieces and heat over medium-to-high heat, til cooked through.
- Prepare Ready Rice, per package instructions.
- Heat steamable microwave vegetable bag in the microwave, or prepare your fresh veggies of choice, as per usual.
- When chicken is thoroughly cooked, add salt and pepper to taste. Add a dash of seasoning and basil.
- When rice is cooked, add butter and salt (to taste – optional).
- Mix chicken, rice, and veggies into one pan.
- Add cheese; stir ’til melted.
- Portion out and refrigerate leftovers.
This was really yummy! I was just cooking for just the two of us. We added extra leftover corn from the fridge. You could easily leave out the vermicelli and substitute for just mixed veggies of your choice, we were just going for convenience. It was pretty flavorful and fulling.
This could also be easily adapted for vegetarian or vegan diets by removing the animal products (chicken, butter).